Tried and tested you can be sure that kids will love this pizza base (as will the biggest kids of them all – our husbands!) and you’ll know you’ve managed to get a few extra serves of healthy meals
into the family without them even knowing.
While cauliflower is not a well-studied cruciferous vegetable from a health standpoint, you will find several dozen studies linking cauliflower recipes-containing diets to cancer prevention, particularly with respect to the following types of cancer: bladder cancer, breast cancer, colon cancer, prostate cancer, and ovarian cancer.
This connection between cauliflower and cancer prevention should not be surprising, since cauliflower provides special nutrient support for three body systems that are closely connected with cancer development as well as cancer prevention.
These three systems are:
1. Body’s detox system
2. Antioxidant system
3. Inflammatory/anti-inflammatory system.
Chronic imbalances in any of these three systems can increase risk of cancer, and when imbalances in all three systems occur simultaneously, the risk of cancer increases significantly.
Pizza with Cauliflower Crust Recipe
Makes 4 small pizzas or 1 large one
For the crusts:
1 medium-size cauliflower, grated
100g goat’s cream cheese
Salt and black pepper
For the tomato sauce:
1 onion, chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
400g can of chopped tomatoes
A handful of fresh basil, chopped
A pinch of dried chilli flakes
Salt and black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 200C/400F/gas mark 6 and line a baking tray with baking parchment.
2. To make the crust, add the cauliflower to a pot of boiling water and boil for 5 minutes. Drain, then wrap in a teatowel and squeeze out any excess water.
3. In a bowl, mix the grated cauliflower with the cream cheese and egg, and season.
4. Divide the cauliflower mix into four portions and, using your hands, shape the crusts on the sheet. They should be about 1-1½cm thick. Bake for about 30-35 minutes, or until firm and golden.
5. While the crusts are baking, heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the onion and saute for a few minutes. Add the garlic and stir briefly, then add the rest of the ingredients. Simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
6. When the crusts are done, add a spoonful of tomato sauce to each and spread evenly. Add toppings as desired, plus grated cheese.
7. Bake the pizzas for about 10 minutes at 220C/450F/gas mark 8, until the cheese is golden.