To make healthy dinner recipes, the home cook must consider some changes not only in his or her repertoire but also in the way ingredients are selected and prepared. Healthy in this sense means preserving the nutrients in the food and also transforming food into the barest essentials minus fat and fanfare.
Black Bean Sweet Potato Burrito
A healthy burrito recipe adapted from Craft Circle, black bean sweet potato burrito is made with whole grain tortillas filled with sautéed sweet potatoes, black beans, low-fat Monterey Jack cheese, shredded lettuce, and fat-free sour cream. With this healthy dinner recipe, you can enjoy a heavy and satisfying burrito anytime without the guilt. This also makes a delicious vegetarian meal served with some chips or nachos. The sweet potatoes give awesome flavor to the black beans and contrast magnificently with the cheese and the sour cream.
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 can (16 oz.) black beans
- Whole Grain Tortillas
- Low-fat Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- Head lettuce, shredded
- Fat-free Sour cream
1. Peel and grate sweet potato. Set aside.
2. Heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add potato and cook for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until potato is cooked through.
3. Add beans. Heat thoroughly. Remove from heat.
4. Use potato and bean mixture to fill tortillas. Top with cheese, lettuce and sour cream, if desired.